Whether you’re out camping in the bush with no access to fresh food supplies, or you’re having a braai with your friends and family, making your own bread from scratch is a sure way to impress them all! This cheese, onion and rosemary bread is a delicious addition to any meal.
What you need:
Megamaster Bread Pot
5g instant yeast
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp margarine or butter
1 ½ cups warm water
100g grated cheese
2 tsp rosemary
- Prepare fillings by slicing and stet the onion, grating the cheese and chopping the rosemary finely.
- Mix together the flour, salt, sugar and yeast.
- Add the margarine or butter and rub into the flour mixture.
- Pour in the warm water and mix it into the dough with your hands.
- Knead the dough until it becomes elastic and smooth.
- Knead in the onion, cheese and rosemary, keeping some aside for the top of the bread loaf.
- Set the dough aside in a warm place, covered with a clean dish towel or cloth. Allow it to double in size.
- In the meantime, get a fire started.
- Once doubled in volume, knock the bread dough down and place it in your greased bread pot.
- Top with the remaining onion, cheese and rosemary.
- Place the pot near the fire, with the lid on. Place a few coals on top of the lid to ensure even cooking.
12. Allow the bread to cook for about 40 minutes. Be careful when removing the loaf from the pot, as the pot will be extremely hot. Once cooked through, the bread should sound hollow when tapped from underneath.
Best enjoyed fresh from the fire.
Visit your closest TrenDIY store for a selection of braai accessories. There are also experts in-store who will be able to assist with any questions you might have.